MEGA Esports

MEGA+Esports

MEGA Esports is a new club here at Wheeler this year. Run by Joseph Holland (senior) and Bradley Stamper (sophomore) , the club offers a casual and competitive gaming environment for all students who wish to participate. For those who chose to play competitively, there is a chance to win scholarship money through the partner organization the High School Esports League. Students can enter tournaments that the league offers for games such as Rainbow Six Siege, League of Legends, and Overwatch to name a few. Teams from all over the country participate, and the top ranking ones will get paid scholarship money buy the league. For students who prefer a more casual environment, there is no need to worry. With over 70 members spanning each console it would be a challenge not to find someone who you can team up with to play games such as Fortnite, Super Smash Bros, Dragon Ball Fighterz, Monster Hunter World and many many more are just some of the games people in the club are playing. The goal of the club according to its founder Joseph Holland is “To create a place where gamers can interact with each other, and not perpetuate the stereotype of gamers locking themselves in their rooms all day and not interacting with anyone besides typing in chat or sending their voice through a microphone. We want to get a group of like-minded people together, so there is a strong real-life interactive community for gamers from every grade to come together, casually or competitively.” The club had been floating around in his head since freshman year, but he could never find a sponsor to make this community come into fruition. Finally, towards the end of Junior Year, Dr. Astorian agreed to sponsor his club, making it a reality. The last few months of Junior year was spent getting a group of level-headed founders and moderators together so that when his senior year came, he could have a well structured and famous club. What happened next exceeded all expectations. On the first club meeting this year Dr. Astorians room filled itself beyond capacity, with 70 students showing up, prompting a move and permanent shift to the old auditorium. With officer applications pouring in from students of all grades and many more forming competitive teams for the games they love, it’s easy to see how practically overnight this became one of the most popular and populous clubs at Wheeler.