Disputed Dahmer

DAHMER (Netflix)

DAHMER (Netflix)

DAHMER, a new Netflix show, is receiving backlash and rejection from viewers and families of Jeffery Dahmer’s victims because of the graphicness. However, the series’ negative impact was nowhere close to the same amount of criticism that other pieces of media featuring Jeffery Dahmer received.

The discussion on the show is positive but mostly negative. On social media platforms, viewers who enjoyed the front were faced with repercussions from other viewers. Some users claimed they could stomach the show while eating snacks, and others were disappointed that DAHMER did not use polaroids from the actual crime scenes. Unfortunately, the reactions these users received for their thoughts were anything but approving.

Lauren Mehos (Allessia Anggraeni)

Nicknamed the Milwaukee Cannibal, Jeffery Dahmer targeted and killed 17 queer males of color in the late 80s. His murders were cruel, ranging from cannibalism to dismemberment. DAHMER dramatized his brutality in a way that made the families of victims relive the trauma that they experienced during his active murders, calling the show “disturbing,” “cruel,” and “retraumatizing.” Additionally, families were not informed by the show’s creators that DAHMER was being made, thus resulting in them not getting compensation.

Felicia (Allessia Anggraeni)

Criticism also perceived the series as entertainment and not informative about the crimes of Jeffery Dahmer. High school students have also chipped in their views on the series. Talia Allex, a sophomore at Wheeler High School, describes the show as “interesting… but very graphic.” Similar arguments have been shared among students, mainly in a negative light. “I know why they made the show, but the way they did it was kinda weird.” states Lauren Mehos, also calling DAHMER “interesting” in a way that was more strange than enlightening. It is evident that the show provides some insight into Dahmer’s spree, but the execution was the opposite of informational. “It’s sick. The whole thing was very sick.” Felicia, a sophomore, comments. “It’s alright, I just feel bad for the victims,” says Eleanor, another student.

Eleanor (Allessia Anggraeni)