Return of the Band: New Marchers Camp

Return of the Band: New Marchers Camp

The Wheeler High marching band, under the direction of Madison Argo, Anthony Higdon, and Jason Frye, is a dynamic sport during the fall season. Anybody is welcome to join as there are many roles to fill, from becoming a drum major to playing an instrument or doing color guard. During the summer, marching band season starts with a two-week pre-camp. During this time, marchers get to know their marching family and establish a bonding connection. Throughout the marching band season, marchers will play at football games, compete in competitions, play during pep rallies, etc. However, competing is the most significant part of being in a marching band. Starting from the end of July, the band directors prepare the marching band by doing drills, stretching, sectionals, and teaching proper techniques on how to march. Over the past couple of years, the Wheeler High marching band has performed shows such as Color Blind, The Face Off, Queen, and Phases.
In preparation for next season, Mr. Argo has come up with the idea of starting a new marchers camp that would begin in April. Most high schools have spring training for sports like football, basketball, and track. As well as some school’s marching bands, they have a more extensive training than Wheeler High School. Therefore, Mr. Argo decided to start a new marchers camp, where incoming freshmen have the opportunity to meet members of the band and learn how to march and play simultaneously. Mr. Argo hopes the band camp will be “an opportunity to recruit kids who don’t know anything about the band. and [a chance] to get a head start on the fall season before the summer.” Heleana Allen (11) also says “I feel like the new marcher’s camp will definitely be beneficial, like it will help the incoming freshmen be sure about what they are getting into!”
Along with freshmen getting a feel of what marching band is about, the new marchers camp is also a time for the directors to see who would make great section leaders and a good drum major. During the leadership meeting that happened on March 9, 2023, the band discussed what would make a good leader. Integrity, passion, selflessness, flexibility, drive, confidence, and knowing how to differentiate between friends and the band were some words the band members talked about. Mr. Argo said, “Anybody can be a leader. However, only certain people can have the ability to lead. The people who are committed to building positive relationships in their section and are willing to go above and beyond.”

With the new season nearing, there are many things to look forward to and think about with each section, such as what each section is looking forward to. Over the years, the marching band has shrunk and grown. Recently the band has become smaller in numbers, especially the woodwind section. The new marchers camp can help with recruiting woodwinds. Mr. Argo says he’s looking forward to “having a better understanding of the program and the people in the program.” He mentioned, “We can be way more successful when people know what to expect from both members and directors.” “I think this coming season we need to improve in our dedication to the program and also be more inclusive towards everyone,” is what Ore Fakiyesi (11) also had to say about the upcoming marching season.

Whenever someone thinks of marching band, they typically think of a school band for football games. However, the marching band is much more than that. Especially when it comes to their shows and competing in competitions. With a new season coming up, members are curious to see if the show will be more complex regarding visuals and the show concept. According to Mr. Argo, next year’s show is already planned out. A whole team of people is already writing the music, making choreography, and formations. “My prediction for our next show is either going to be pirate themed, or it’s going to be medieval. I just hope that the next show will have some cool music and it will be filled by fun times,” Sanaa Clark (11) says.

Overall, with the new marchers camp coming soon, kicking off the marching band season, there is much to look forward to. Including meeting the eighth graders and new marchers. By the end of the camp, the new marchers will know how to march and play simultaneously. Due to having a pre-camp, the marching band would be able t0 have a successful season. At the same time, having fun and becoming one big family.